Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Keeping your weight loss goals

Well, I promised that I was going to do my best to keep writing about my weight loss experiences and did not write as many as I would have hoped but there is that one thing called medical school, lol. Anyway, here we go . . . by this time three things have happened with your New Year's Resolution for weight loss. You stuck with the resolution, you are in limbo between keeping the resolution and giving up, or you have given up.

I have definitely been in all those phases before. Last year once I started medical school, I gave up working out so I could study. I did great in class but my goal of reaching 250lbs flew out the window. I allowed myself to be consumed with "stress" eating, eating my favorite fattening foods all the time and without burning extra calories in the gym my weight increased again. I started medical school on August 1st at 275lbs and by December 31, I was 302lbs. On the positive side, I started January 1, 2008, at 328lbs and ended at 302lbs, so I still lost 26lbs. On the negative side, I made an excuse to stop going to the gym.

Do not give up on exercise, ever!!! It is a stress reliever and it is the only way you can build muscle to burn fat and the only way to burn calories doing cardio. Some of the excuses I have used:

I do not have time to go to the gym: in some cases if you have a project due or an exam coming up that is true. Other than serious deadlines, you always time. Think about how much time you spend on the internet, watching tv, etc. You can also go for a walk, run, hike,P90X etc.

I do not want to workout that long: you do not have to workout that long, all you need is a good 35 minutes and you can get a good workout; even weight lifting, using circuit training. This excuse has been my downfall many times. Trust me, you can get a good workout in 35 minutes.

I do not know what time I should do it: some of us have to set schedules, once you make a schedule it makes it a lot easier to workout. I mean a real life schedule, not a mental note.

For most of us, it takes 2-4 weeks for something to become routine, so try to find a schedule by 3 weeks and you will be surprised how it becomes ingrained in your conscious. I actually feel sad or feel like I am doing something wrong when I do not workout LOL.

Currently, I weigh 260lbs which is the lightest I have been since the summer between 7th and 8th grade and 10th grade of high school when I was wrestling; respectively, 12 and 15 years old. So I have dropped 42lbs since January 1, 2009. Making my total weight lost since football being 68lbs. Since I am so close to reaching my goal of 250, I have set a new goal of getting to 230.

Don't give up on your goal. Watching the Biggest Loser is great, great motivation :). If you have more specific questions just ask.

No comments: