Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Dominican Republic 8


Johnette's jealousy.

February 23, 2008

This day was so relaxing! I got to sleep in until 9AM, but did not get home until 2AM because we were out working it on the dance floor. The only strange thing I remember about last night was getting a couple beer bottles thrown at us by the locals. I think they did not like us because we were black, I mean American. You know I had to throw the race card in there somewhere.


One of my favorite omelet chef's in the world.



Aw, sis.



Shortly after finishing breakfast, half of the group departed for the beach with our hats and our bug spray and sun block soaked bodies. We got to the first beach and it lacked one essential element that we are so used to seeing in the states. The beach lacked sand people! Sand! Instead of sand it had rocks varying in all colors, shapes, and sizes. I did a few model shots out on the palm trees. Johnette did not approve of the shots and walked into one of my shots making the vomit face I always make when I am displeased. After finishing my photo shoot, I walked down the beach to take a picture of this jagged rock structure that was jetting out into the water. Well, for some reason I thought taking my sandals off would help me walk to the end of the beach faster. Remember, I am on a rock beach. Let’s just say when I got to the end of the beach I was not so happy to be down there to take the picture. I made sure my poor feet suffered for a reason and took as many pictures and videos as my little camera could hold.

The rocks on the beach!


Captain Morgan.














We made a stop at this area overlooking the water. It was unbelievable. The color of the water and the various flowers were amazing.








The photo shoots continued all throughout the day; even at lunch time, when we found this river side restaurant. The owner of the restaurant let us sit and make sandwiches outside, after we bought a couple of Presidentes from them. The river looked very beautiful. As I was taking pictures of it, I could not help but notice someone on the other side lathering up. He scrubbed his entire body and jumped into the river as our host went down the river in his tube.






The river.

The bath.



The tube.

They were catching fish.

At the end of the river was the ocean. This beach had pebbles instead of large rocks or sand. We voted and we think the small pebbles are lot more fun than sand. You do not have to worry about getting sand everywhere, just a couple of pebbles here and there. However, you could never make a pebble castle. It would just be a mountain of pebbles, so it does lose cool points there. Anyway, the water was a pale blue and the waves were some of the largest waves I have ever seen. At first we were a little hesitant to jump into the water, but a family came up and started riding the waves; thus, we followed their lead. These waves tossed me around like a rag doll. In fact, one time they tossed me so bad that I looked like a beach whale on the shore trying to get back out to sea. Oh, good times. Oh and we stayed at this beach so long that many of us had to use the potty. Rachel is going to hate me, but I captured some beautiful images of that process.





Look at that gun!



What was she doing?


What are you doing in the water?

I had to do it too.


The excitement of rock skipping!

Boy standing outside the bus.

Our last stop was the waterfalls. Talk about photo shoot time. This place was so green and the waterfalls were amazing. I took a couple of pictures in the waterfall. The water was so cold and in a couple of pictures I think you can actually see me shivering.












We came back to the hotel and lounged around like the other half of the group had been doing all day. After receiving my glorious rock pedicure, I am not so sure going to the beaches was worth it. I wish I took a picture of the bottom of my feet, they were so red. The pedicure only enhanced the look of my slave feets. Yes, I said feets. However, getting to see the beauty of the Dominican’s beaches was definitely worth the pain. Next time, I will know not to walk down a rock beach with my shoes off. What in the world was I thinking?

Before we had our last group meeting, David and I walked down the street to find a painting he wanted. This part of the trip was unbelievable. We walked right into a Presidential Rally for the Purple Party. There was purple everywhere! Purple flags hanging from the cars and mopeds, purple t-shirts, and purple bandannas. Then there were venders lined along the street selling hot dogs and other unidentifiable meat products. There was also music blaring from some of the cars and drums being played in the distance. Eventually, the drums caught up to our location and I got a chance to record the madness.

No comments: